How do I use the Post page widget?
Widgets are the tools with which course administrators create and build the pages of their course.
The Post page widget allows students to make a post containing an OpenLearning page. The students can create a new OpenLearning page, or select an existing one.
In order to access the Post page widget:
- Go to the page in your course where you'd like to add a file.
- Select Edit mode.
- In the lefthand widget menu, choose Advanced, and then click on the Post page widget icon (or you can hold and drag it wherever you'd like on the page).
Note: The Post page widget comes with the Gallery widget automatically added to the page as well.
After adding a Post page widget to your page, you can set it up by following the instructions below:
- Click on the Setup tab at the top of the widget.
- Title: You can enter the title of your activity or short instructions.
- Label: You can replace the default "Share a page" label.
- Input place holder: You can replace the default "Enter a page name" placeholder.
- You can also choose between two options: Users can only share existing pages from this widget and Users can create new pages from this widget. This allows your students to create new pages or share existing course pages with the rest of the class.
Finally, don't forget to click Done to save your work!
Completing activities on a page is how learners make progress and receive their certificates or complete the course.
As the administrator, you can modify how each widget tracks this progress.
To do this, click on the Completion Settings tab on the widget and choose one of the following options:
No completion tracking: This widget will not affect the learner's progress.
Completed when viewed: This widget will count as completed as soon as the learner views the widget.
Completed when student shares a page: This widget will count as completed as soon as the learner posts a page.
The Post page widget allows learners to post image files to the platform. By default, when a learner makes a post, it is visible to other learners in a class.
It is possible to change this default visibility.
- control who can see the posts (everyone in the class or just course staff and the author),
- control when the posts can be viewed (after a certain task is completed or a specific date),
- let students control the post visibility,
- allow group submissions.
For more detailed information on the share settings, please refer to Post widgets: how to use share settings to control post visibility
Learner view and instructions
What does the Post page widget look like from the learners' point of view?
How do they create or share a page with this widget?
Here are steps for students to follow:
Click on Select a page
Enter a page name from a list of existing course pages, or type in a new page name to create a new one.
Click on Next.
Click on Edit Page to open the page editor.
Create page content using the widgets on the lefthand menu.
When done, don't forget to click on Save and Close.
Click Next to post the page and confirm by clicking on Post on the next page.
The post appears in the Gallery below.
If privacy settings allow, learners and course staff can comment or like the learners' posts.