How do I add learners?
Guide: Institution roles and enrolment management
4. How do I add learners?
On this page
Adding learners to an institution makes managing them easier. If your portal is private, adding your learners is the only way they will be able to access institution courses.
There are two ways of adding learners to an institution:
- Add learners one by one.
- Add multiple learners in bulk (via CSV).
Step 1: Finding the Manage learners section
Go to Institution settings > People > Manage learners.
- Go to the Add learners tab.
- Enter each learner’s email address in the Add learners by email box.
Separate email addresses with a comma if you are adding more than one learner.
You will be presented with a table, where you can enter details such as the learner’s group, institution id, and full name.
Optional: You can also create accounts for the learners by checking the "Automatically create accounts and email them their password".
- Download the CSV template to your computer.
- Fill in the CSV with learner information
Be sure to save this file before closing and uploading it.
Don’t forget to click Add learners when the upload is done.
There are two ways of knowing if you’ve successfully added learners:
- An alert will let you know you’ve added X number of learners every time you save.
- You can check under Recently added learners.
- Check learners under the View learners tab and search by name
Go to the View learners tab.
- Check all the learners you want to enrol.
- Go to Bulk actions and choose Enrol in courses.
- Select the course(s).
- Finally, select the class and click Assign to courses.
You can, in two easy steps.
Follow the steps described in How do I add learners?
Click on Recently added learners.
Choose the batch of learners you want to assign to courses, for example:
This will open the list of learners you've just added to the institution. Now, click on Bulk actions, then choose the course and the class:
Yes! Simply follow the steps described in How do I add learners? and make sure you check the "Automatically create accounts and email team members their password" box and click on Add learners.
- Select the learner from the table under the View learners tab
- Click on Bulk actions.
-Select Remove from courses and choose the course(s) you want to unenroll the learner from.
- Go to Institution settings > People > Manage learners > View learners.
- Select the learner from the table.
- Click on Bulk actions.
- Choose Remove from institution.
You will be asked to confirm if you want to remove the learner.
Remove a learner from the institution and all courses to make sure they are completely removed.
Please note, you won’t have the power to delete or deactivate another user’s account.
Only the account owner can deactivate their own account. (How do I deactivate or reactivate my account?)
- Course administrators
- Course facilitators
- Assessment designers
- You won’t be able to create accounts for learners not registered on OpenLearning if adding learners at the course level. Instead, their invitation email will direct them to open an account.
- Private portals require everyone accessing institution courses to be a member of that institution. You can invite them at the course level, however, they will only be able to access the course if they had previously been added to the institution.
The primary email is marked by A and the institution email is marked by B in the screenshot below:
The user’s primary email is the email that the user has selected when creating an OpenLearning account.
Institution email is the email that the institution administrator has selected to invite the learner to an institution.
When an institution administrator is inviting a learner for the first time using an email, the same email will be displayed on both primary and institution email.
However, when the learner has changed the email to another email using the account settings menu (for more information please refer to the article How do I update my email address?), the new email will be displayed on the primary email. However, this will not affect the institution email and it will still be displaying the old email. The reason is that the institution might still need the old email information as it’s used elsewhere in their other integrated systems.